Resort Tax Funding

How Resort Tax Collections are Appropriated

The Big Sky Resort Area District appropriates resort tax funding on an annual basis. The funding supports local services and programs including a post office; ambulance and other emergency medical services; public transportation systems; tourism development; and other services that provide for the public health, safety, and welfare within the Big Sky Resort Area District. With the contribution of the many entities that serve Big Sky, we are Better Together.


How To Apply For Resort Tax Funding

If your organization or its programming is located within the boundaries of the Big Sky Resort Area District and it provides a service, program, or project that provides for the public health, safety and welfare of the greater Big Sky Resort Area District community, you may apply for an Appropriation of resort tax funds.

As required by law, an applicant must be a legal entity formed under the laws of the State of Montana. The purpose of the appropriation request must be within the purposes of the District’s Legal Ordinance NO. 98-01, as amended, and must benefit the community at large, and not a single person, organization or corporation. The applicant must be “an entity” that is capable of both “legally and practically” carrying out the purpose of the appropriation. The applicant must be a governmental unit, corporation, or limited partnership with the capability of being legally bound by the Appropriation Agreement.

2019-2020 Appropriations Results

Please view the 2019-2020 Resort Tax Appropriations Results. Thanks to everyone involved.


Historical Resort Tax Funds Appropriations

Are you interested in knowing the total appropriations made since the Big Sky Resort Area District began? Please download the Annual Appropriations report for current and historical resort tax appropriation data. This spreadsheet will be updated annually.

Annual Appropriations Summary
Annual Appropriations by Entity

View last year’s applications here

Other Questions

Visit our Resort Tax Funding FAQ’s for more common questions and answers or contact the District office.

2019-2020 Progress Report I

For entities that applied and received funding for fiscal year 2019-2020, please use the form below to complete your progress report. Please return the completed form to by Thursday, January 2nd, 2020.

2020 Progress Report I

Information for Resort Tax Appropriation Recipients

If your organization received resort tax funding, you may submit payment requests once your Appropriation Agreement has been fully executed.

Payments are made, to the best of our ability, every two weeks. Payment request forms can be found here: FY20 Payment Request Form

Final payment requests must be received by July 15. Your organization will also be required to submit a summary of your mission and/or successes accompanied by photographs.

If you have questions about your Appropriation, please contact the Administrative Officer.