UPDATE: As of the summer 2010 season, the District office has resolved 80% of the online listings for short-term rentals. The office is continually working on this effort.
The District office has taken the following measures:
- improved the online information on the District website
- placed ads in newspapers
- contacted all Big Sky area homeowners associations
- enlisted the help of local organizations such as the Chamber of Commerce
- contacted all online listings on five different vacation rental websites, more than doubling the registrations on file
- resolved registration issues for property listings that are: not within the boundaries of the District, managed by a property management company or resort, multiple properties per one owner, sold, or expired
- established a quarterly payment option to coincide with the State of Montana remittance schedule
- committed to an annual survey of online listings
- responded to anonymous notifications about violators
If you rent out your home or other property, please be advised that you are required by law to collect and remit the Big Sky 3% resort tax on all rentals less than 30 days.
For more information and to register to begin collecting and remitting the resort tax, visit the Resort Tax Collections page.
Or call the District office at (406)995-3234.
Office location: Big Sky West Fork Meadows, 77 Aspen Leaf Drive #9
Office hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 9am to 5pm