Business Resources

We would like to welcome your business to the area and wish you success.

We extend appreciation for your time and efforts in collecting the Resort Tax. All revenue from the Resort Tax is invested directly back into the Big Sky area. The Board of Directors appropriates the funds to support critical local organizations that provide health, safety, public welfare, environmental, transportation, tourism development, and emergency medical services. Without the collaboration of the business community, we could not support the projects and services that benefit Big Sky and make it such a great place.

We look forward to working with you. The information below has been compiled on this page to help you navigate the registration process and start off on the right foot as a new business. Please don’t hesitate to contact our office with any questions.

How-to Guides & Helpful Resources

Registration Instructions

All establishments and businesses operating within the District are required to register. Set up your account online. Simply go to:

Time of Remittance Procedure

Remittance frequency is determined by the amount of resort tax collected annually. The District staff may contact businesses to notify the correct remittance frequency, or the business may reach out to the District for clarification at any time.

  • Monthly remittance: Businesses collecting $5000 or more in resort tax annually.
    • Payment is due on or before the last day of the month following the month the taxes were collected. (Example: taxes collected in June due by July 31)
  • Quarterly remittance: Businesses collecting less than $5000 in resort tax annually.
    • Payments are due on or before the last day of the month following the end of the quarter the taxes were collected (example taxes collected Jan-March due April 30).
  • Seasonal remittance:
    • Businesses operating seasonally within the District (4 months or less) and collecting less than $5,000 in resort tax annually, may remit on a seasonal basis if the operational months are agreed upon by District and the business. The District has the ability to approve or deny any seasonal filing requests depending on the circumstances.

A remittance form must be submitted to the District via MUNIRevs even if no resort taxes are collected unless the establishment informs the District that it shall be closed for a specified duration and a seasonal filing schedule is agreed upon by both parties.

Visit our MUNIRevs Website to register and begin remitting. You may retain 5% of what you collect as an Administrative Fee for your time spent collecting and remitting the tax. When you are filing the taxes collected on MUNIRevs, it will walk you through how to do this.

The established delinquency procedures of the District will be followed in the case of any late payments.

Completing a Zero File Tax Return

If your business or short-term rental will be closing for business, not to reopen, please contact the District office so that your account can be closed.

Unless the District office has been notified of a seasonal closure, you must submit a zero file tax return every month or quarter (depending on your filing schedule), even if you had zero tax collection transactions; simply enter zero on the tax form and submit as usual. Please click the link below to view a step by step guide for filing a zero return.

Completing a Zero File Tax Return [PDF]

MuniRevs (Registration & Payment Website) Contact Info

The MUNIRevs support team is available for technical support Monday-Friday from 9am to 5pm. For the quickest response, email They can also be reached via phone at 888-751-1911.

Legal Ordinances:

Ordinance 98-01, as amended
The District’s Ordinance detailing goods and services subject to and exempted from the Resort Tax.

Ordinance No. 2008-01, as amended
The District’s Ordinance describing the procedures for enforcement and collection of the Resort Tax.

History of the Big Sky Resort Area District:

Visit our History page for details on how the resort tax and the Big Sky Area District came to be.

Where Do the Taxes Go?

All tax dollars remain with the Big Sky Resort Area District. For details on how funds have been allocated in past years, please visit the Funding and Our Impact pages.

Translate »